Saturday, May 9, 2009

NOT the Library Troll

The woman who previously held my position at the high school library in which I work was called (affectionately, I hope) the library troll. I planned to name this blog The Library Troll in honor of inheriting this title. However, upon googling troll, I learned (courtesy of the same Wikipedia that I hypocritically tell students not to use so much) that "an Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion." I am sincerely glad that I looked it up first- wouldn't want to give anyone the wrong impression! To make a longer introduction even longer, I decided on The Bridge for several reasons. First, a bridge is a means to cross (overcome) an obstacle as it spans (connects) two places (or ideas). This is an apt connotation when discussing the digital divide- bridging the gap between those who understand and have access to technology and those who do not. Second, it is a pun on my first name. Lastly and back to my original thought, trolls live under bridges (okay, so this is a stretch). Anyway, I am here and ready to document my North Texas 23 Things experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment