Sunday, June 28, 2009

Digg

When I go online, one of the first things I do is check the news, usually on Yahoo. Because I'm often crunched for time, sometimes I just read the headlines. (At least this way I won't be totally unconnected to the world.) I like the idea of this site, but not enough to sign up. Because sources can be from anywhere on the web (Twitter, for example), they may not be reliable or authoritative. While the AP makes mistakes sometimes, I feel like I can trust most of what I read. I would therefore have to take many of these news stories with a grain of salt. If you were someone who really wanted to be on top of pop culture, this site is a good barometer of mainstream society. The "upcoming" feature makes it a potentially good source for breaking news. I also found some of the "offbeat" stories amusing. I'm glad to know of this site, but I'm too busy to search for stories myself. The premise of this website reminded me of a young adult novel I read a while back (Extras by Scott Westerfeld) in which people in the future live in a "reputation economy." The more the main character can break cool news stories, the more her popularity rank increases. This leads to some trouble, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment