Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Facebook

I was really reluctant to get a Facebook account. I prize my anonymity (see earlier posts) and I don't have a lot of spare time to participate in social networking. A friend has been bugging me about getting on Facebook for a while now, but I just haven't been interested. When I signed up for my account, 3 people I knew were already waiting for me to be their friend. It was kind of cool and scary at the same time that Facebook could use my Outlook information to find more friends. I opted to skip some steps and decided to find friends on my own. It is kind of like jr. high in a way- a cyber popularity contest. Anyway, it was both amazing and disturbing how many people I knew in the suggestions that Facebook offered. More people than I thought already have accounts. I feel kind of socially roped in- now I have to maintain these virtual relationships in addition to my real ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment