Sunday, June 21, 2009

Twitter

Unless you happen to be at your computer or carrying a cell with texting capability, Twitter isn't always about what is going on right now. I heard about Twitter before I really knew what it was, which (sadly) wasn't all that long ago. Another librarian gave me the gist of it, though she didn't tweet either. I learned more about it when I read an article on the merits of Twitter in a magazine (the title of which I have since forgotten). Anyway, I watched the video on the Twitter site before I did anything else- a concise summary of features. I fiddled with my settings, then went searching. I found another N. TX 23 participant and sent her a reply (Hi Rebecca!). I noticed that a lot of folks either have no picture or something else in its stead- an icon, anime drawing... There were a lot of groups (corporations/organizations) in addition to individuals. I like that the posts on Twitter are limited to 140 characters (but why that #?) because it forces you to economize on words, making it easier for the reader. It has a number of potential uses in the workplace. Only one employee can go to the conference or meeting? No problem- that person can tweet what is going on to the folks back at the office (or library in my case). Yes, it could get out of control, but it isn't a good idea to throw the baby out with the bathwater on this one either. (Click here for my Twitter URL.)

No comments:

Post a Comment